Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dungeon Master


As a young christian there were a few "don'ts" that were pounded into my head. This list of "don'ts" consisted of activities that if experienced would cause severe consequences to my life. Admittedly, I would not lose my salvation, but the Lord might take me home early so that I wouldn't screw up his work here on earth. The list wasn't very long but it was enforced with resolute passion.


The list began with drinking and drugs. Experience either one of these things and I would be on a "Highway to Hell," which leads me to another one of the "don'ts." Rock Music. Rock music was seriously forbidden. If I listened to its pagan syncopated rhythms long enough I would grow long hair, sacrifice my neighbors cat, and become a serial killer. Many of my christian friends had documented evidence of all these things happening to people who listened too long to the Devil's music.


Another no no on the list was the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian" and the movie "Last Temptation of Christ." The propaganda against both of these movies was so strong that I have still seen neither of them.


The last don't was more of a category. Into this last "don't" category were thrown numerous occultic activities. Actually, I can only remember three of these. The first was Ouija boards. They were of the Devil, and led directly to demonic possession. The second was Halloween. This activity required proactive steps. Instead of going out to accumulate candy with your pagan friends, good christians went to the church dressed up like scary bible characters for a "Harvest Festival." The last activity that I was to never participate in was.... Dungeons and Dragons. If I were to participate in this role playing game the dungeon master would hypnotize me and make me drink the blood of my neighbor's sacrificed cat.


Well, I have a confession to make. I played D and D last night with my son and some friends. It turns out that some of my Christian friends were closet D and D players. These are people that I love and respect. When I found out that they participated in such devilish nonsense I was quite... put out.


Eventually, I had to rethink my position. Was it possible that these loving caring individuals, people who had the love of Christ all over them, were actually agents of the devil? Well, I seriously doubted. I finally agreed to check it out for myself. Yes, I was suspicious. I looked for hidden motives in everything that happened. I was planning to yank a cross off the wall and ward off the players after they transformed into werewolves, or is it shoot their vampire hearts with a silver bullet, or...? Sorry, about that digression.


But anyway, I was skeptical, but you know what I found? I found a bunch of likeable, kind, odd guys playing a game that allowed them to laugh together, have fun together, and be together. Okay, maybe they were imagining way too much, but maybe some of us other types imagine way too little. I don't know, but I do know that I plan on playing again. I didn't see anything wrong with any of it. Maybe I was suffering from some kind of charm that befuddled my senses and made me unaware of the devilish snare that was being place around me. Maybe it was my first step on a "Highway to...," but I don't think so.

2 comments:

Tim said...

: ) That reminds me of a Christmas party I attended this past year. After two hours of hanging out with this dear group of friends, I found out that all of them were secretly drinking. Outside, on the back porch, was a small table of alcoholic beverages. Unbeknownst to me, every once in a while, a friend would fill his glass with a soft drink and then quietly slip outside to add a little “fun” to the mixture. Upon figuring this out, I also quickly realized that it was me they were all hiding the alcohol from! Dirty little…

Like you, Jamie and I have also quietly discovered our freedom in Christ. And what’s more, we’ve discovered that many of our old friends have also been quietly discovering that freedom as well.

I wouldn’t be an ordained minister, however, if I didn’t caution you with the words of Paul; Everything is permissible, but not everything is profitable. Everything is permissible but I will not allow anything to master me!

I’m STARTING to understand what that means, but it takes a pretty high level of maturity to actually be able to pull it off. For one thing, you really have to know yourself. For instance, one thing I know about myself is that I have a VERY addictive personality. Furthermore, I love to engage in activities involving escapism. So for me, alcohol and pot are probably not a good idea.” I’d probably make a really good alcoholic. Jamie, on the other hand, has no problem with alcohol (we’ve yet to test the theory on pot). On the other hand, Jamie has certain music that she can’t listen to because it stirs up a real anger in her. I, however, don’t have that same struggle. Again, you have to really know yourself and then be willing to make the tough choices. It also helps to have good accountability.

I wonder what else we can do without getting struck by lightening!!! : )

(p.s. While playing D&D may not get you sent to hell, it most assuredly confirms your spot on the “BIG GEEK” scale. In fact, I think it puts you somewhere near the top.) : )

Trent said...

Behold my Geekdom.