Friday, October 24, 2008

Weekend!


Everyday I start my classes with a "bellringer." Some teachers call it boardwork, and others call it a bell activity. On this particular day my "bellringer" was a short writing prompt. It was very simple, and I was convinced that it would be a good topic for my students to show some creativity in their writing.


On the white board at the back of the room under "Thursday's writing prompt" I wrote, "How would your life be different if there were no weekends. Please explain your answer." I began thinking of all the things that my students would say. I knew that some of them were going to say that they hated school, and if they had to go all the time they would start skipping classes to get a break. I knew that some of them would say that if there were never any weekends they would not get to go to church. I also knew that some would say that without weekends college football games and tailgate parties would come to an end, and I knew that some students would say that without weekends they would never be able to have a sleepover with their friends.


I knew all of those. They weren't that hard to predict, but it did not take long for my students to share a loss from "no weekends" that I never thought of. It happened in my first hour class. Almost all of the predicted answers came from various students. Many were excited to share a distaste of school in an approved teacher led activity. Others wanted to share a little thing about themselves with the class. Finally, I called on a small, shy, girl in the center of my classroom.


She started, "I think my life would suck if there were no weekends. I would have to go to school every day, and I don't think I could handle that for very long. I don't hate school; I would just need a break from it. I would also hate not being able to see my friends that don't go to this school. Without weekends I may not be able to see them...ever. The most terrible thing about not having weekends, though, would be that I would never be able to see my dad."


As soon as she said it several other students shot their hands up and said almost in unison, "Me too!" I was crushed. I tried to hide my concern by moving on to the next activity, but another student said, "At least you get to see your dad. Mine left me when I was only two. I have never seen him since. " After this young man shared several students nodded their heads in agreement. I paused and let the class finish the discussion. I said that I was sorry and we moved on.


The same basic scenario happened in two more classes that day. This time I was prepared to let the discussion happen. It reminded me of "The Shack." When God was asked why he presented himself to the world as Father he said "because after the fall I knew that there would be a severe shortage of good fathering." I am not bringing this up to say how terrible the world is. I am not trying to say that men are terrible, or that men are slackers or any of that. No, I am only bringing this up to say that this is the way things are. I would like to change it, but at least for the students in my room, I can't. The only thing I can do is know it. I need to know that this is how things are. I need to know that this world is not heaven, and I need to help students that don't have the blessings that I do.


Today is the first day of a 3 day weekend for the students at my school. I really hope that they are all having a good time.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I may butcher this trying to get it out. And I may also do it zero justice. But here goes…

While a large majority of the church spends its time protesting the way things are – i.e. the lyrics to Marilyn Manson songs, the change to “Happy Holiday” greetings rather than “Merry Christmas”, the laws against religious icons on public property, the fact that your television network will be shut down for slandering Jews, but not Christians, etc. – I spend my time listening and trying to figure out why things are the way they are. I believe that two things will come from this;

(1) You know the old saying; “nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.” And it’s true. I believe that by listening, taking it in, and trying to figure out why people “feel that way” or why, in fact, things “ARE that way”, that I will earn the respect of those doing the talking and, eventually, they’ll be willing to hear what I have to say on the matter.

(2) This may be hard for some people to comprehend, but I actually think I might learn something about how to relate to those outside the church. Many, MANY of us in the church live in a little bubble. No offense, but for those living in the Bible belt, the percentage is a little higher. Some of us have NO IDEA what those outside, or sometimes even INSIDE of our churches are going through. How many people in our church are dealing with abuse on a weekly basis? How many are dealing with sexuality that has been demonized by the church? How many are dealing with addiction?

I appreciate the fact that you’re listening Trent. You are one step closer to becoming a Jedi; to mastering the crane technique; to reaching 88 miles an hour; to getting your white glove. And you know what they say about the crane technique; If do right, no can defense.