Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rule Number One

I am about to break a rule that I had established for myself a while ago. I had said to myself that I would only post narratives that involved me. I would no longer post positions or beliefs or opinions unless they could be revealed by my experience.

So, what is this post going to be about? Well, just let me say that on one hand I am frustrated with everything theological. Why? Well, it is just that when we approach Christian Theology with a microscope we are doomed to committing some horribly grievous errors. Remember these are the opinions of one not theologically trained, so you may be wondering why all of the smoke and mirrors before I actually get to the point. The answer to that is, its complicated.

One of my dearest friends took issue with me about a book that I liked very much. There was much concern that it was not theological. There was even some concern that it was heretical. They wanted me to read a review by a theologically trained person about the weaknesses of this book. I did.

Here is what I found out, but you need to be forewarned that my discoveries had very little to do with the book review.

1. I am very glad that going to seminary was not in the cards, that it was not in the will of God, that the tea leaves didn't show up a the bottom of my cup spelling a fuzzy "if you go you will understand," primarily because I am becoming convinced that if I had gone I would understand less.
2. I have decided that my above mentioned rule was a good one, and now I am contemplating some sort act of contrition to remind me to never break that rule again.
3. I have decided that it is absolutely true that I don't understand very much, but I am just as convinced that most of those claiming to understand don't.
4. I am bewildered that in the interest of theology, and in the interest of upholding the faith, so much energy would be spilled out by those who are trained in biblical studies onto an area that they are somewhat less trained, Literature. Those who have been trained in the inerrantness of scripture have a very hard time understanding any literary devices like hyperbole, metaphor, simile, foreshadowing, or poetic language or imagery even though the Bible is filled with them. If I were to point this out, the response would be quick that those things are okay unless the topic of your literary work is faith.
5. I have decided that I do still believe in scripture. I am not checking out on God's Word, but I am going to be very careful where I go for mentoring in understanding it, however. I am not looking for some open theologian. Believe it or not, I still believe in the inerrant message of the bible.
6. I still like my book.

3 comments:

Rich said...

Merry Christmas, Trent, to you and your family. I hope you had a joyous holiday void of all influence from our culture's obsession with consumerism (wouldn't that be grand?). I'm curious as to the book you're referring to in your post, although I'm relatively sure I will not have read it.

Did I give you a copy of One Step Closer by Christian Scharen? It was a book my Sunday School class did a study on (at mine and Laura's prompting), and it was an analysis of how the band, U2, uses scripture in their music. When you were indicating that you had friends that thought there might be something heretical in your book, it made me think of our class's response to the notion that this rock band might provide some insight into God, scripture, God's intent for our lives, etc. It made some of them really uncomfortable, especially given Bono's often critical perspective on organized religion. Anyhow, keep posting, I'll keep reading. I really miss our "philosophical" discussions. Merry Christmas!

Trent said...

The book I was referring to is "The Shack." I have mentioned it in a previous post. Hey, I thought you were going to give me a call. I don't have your number.

Rich said...

I read the post on that book and thought that it might be the same one. And I'm right, I haven't read it. I too have trouble with people that seem to have everything figured out and don't appear to be up for debating things. By everything, I mean that they've decided just how everything in the bible should be interpreted and just seem to have all of the answers. It bothers me a little when someone thinks that they have all of the answers, because I've always felt that if you know very much, you should know that there is plenty you don't know. Does that make any sense?

Yes, I need to call and you have my apologies. It's been a crazy fall and time gets away from me. I'll call soon.