Thursday, December 17, 2009

Taste

Someone recently told me about a sermon where the preacher said that anyone who drinks only does it to get drunk because the stuff tastes so bad that there is no other reason to drink it. I suppose that the idea was to get people to lay off alcohol because tastes bad.

Well, I got to thinkin'. It seems to me that many believers today are rebelling against denominational stances against alcohol because they have found that the prohibition against it does not jive with conviction in the veracity of scripture. But, this has left many in an uncomfortable position of having to justify their own abstinence. This, to me, is sad.

Abstinence for a believer does not have to do with how something tastes, or how healthy it is, or its color, or even how other people feel about it. For a believer the standard is Jesus. Whether you drink or not, whether you abstain or not it is for the glory of the Lord. Taste, What other people do or the current phase of the moon does not matter.

I hope for myself that I will be able to quit saving face with man to be obedient to God.

No comments: